Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:07 PM
Subject: [WISPA] Today is a Momentous Day for our Industry - Sept. 23rd, 2010

Today’s FCC decision to open up the TV Whitespaces for unlicensed operations is a decision that validates the WISP industry, WISPA, it’s members and the “grassroots” efforts we have achieved since our birth in 2004.  I would like to thank all of the WISP operators who have joined this movement and have supported our efforts to improve our industry’s stake in the Broadband Service business landscape.

WISPA isn’t a business; it is a well defined “association” of member companies that have common interests and a drive to improve their businesses.  It is quite remarkable what we can all do when we combine our forces.  Today’s M&O on the TV Whitespaces included “WISPA” 88 times!  We (WISPA) are now a household name with most of the lobbying groups (both opposition and supporters) in the broadband industry, the FCC and many legislators.  We still need to work on the legislative lobbying effort and that will take each of our members to write to their congressman and senators, meet them personally and tell them our stories and successes.  Although it may be out of many operator’s comfort zone, it should be noted that they (legislators) all get up and get dressed every morning just like you and I.  They are often former neighbors and have a passion to serve their local service areas, just like we do.  We need to befriend these influential people and relay our passion to extend broadband ubiquitously.

We estimate there are 2000-3000 WISPs in the USA.  Nearly 400 have joined and support WISPA.  We can further benefit our industry with greater participation from those who continue to sit on the sidelines.  We invite those WISPs to join the rest of the operators by joining WISPA at http://signup.wispa.org.  By joining WISPA, you become a co-owner of WISPA with all of the other members.  Incidentally, I just received a call from Francois Menard, a very astute operator in Canada, who will be joining WISPA very soon.  He thanked WISPA for our hard work and he would like to get a similar organization started in Canada or get more Canadian WISP companies to join WISPA.  There is absolutely no reason why we cannot duplicate what we have achieved to assist our neighbors to the north with greater effectiveness.

The telecom world is heating up, debate is dynamic and everlasting!  Our work and lobbying continues or we will fade away through legislation without representation.  We MUST speak up to hold our ground and seek new fertile ground.  I work hard each day to stimulate the industry I so dearly love.  I invite you to join our efforts.  The technical talk is fine and needed, but without a playing field to place the infrastructure and achieve business success, the technical talk is all a moot point.

Respectfully,

Rick Harnish

Executive Director

WISPA