Yikes... what spooky, scary stuff. Next, is someone going to tell me that these workers are undocumented illegals smuggled in from Bangaladesh and hired as independent contractors by the blasting/painting company???

On 10/8/2010 12:15 PM, Ryan Goldberg wrote:

While surely different crews have different practices, I also worked on a big tank and those guys doing the welding/blasting/painting were crazy and were being paid jack sh*t.  Nature of the industry methinks.

From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On Behalf Of Cameron Crum
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2010 2:06 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Workers Trapped in Hollywood Water Tower Tank

I know first hand that these crews who blast these towers are very unsafe. We had to erect a temporary tower while one of our water towers was being blasted and repainted. They had to rig a curtain on the outside, so they were welding some pig joints on the top of the bowl to attach some poles to that would eventually hold the curtain. While erecting our temp tower, I watched a guy hang on to one of the joints with one hand while leaning out of the side of the bowl and grab a 100 lb pole from a guy on the catwalk with the other hand and then try to hoist it into place...all with no safety harness or even so much as a rope tied to his belt. I thought for sure I was going to witness a death that day.

Cameron