I'm sure some people will be saying "oh not this discussion again" but I've
just got to ask. L-Com is selling "FCC certified systems" and they go into
detail to explain that their system are available without license or special
requirement because it's not just an amplifier but rather a complete system.
Clicking on a link in their email brings you here
http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=25975&CMP=101410. I assumed this was an AP
with amplifier and antenna which the FCC could determine it's eirp and overall
compliance and certify. But it's a wireless NIC for a computer with an antenna,
and a bare amplifier. There's no way the FCC could take cable loss and antenna
gain into account. The amps go from 100mW to 1W. How can this possibly be
certified if the amp isn't paired with an antenna? What 1W amp and antenna
combination could possibly yield a legal eirp? The antenna would have to be a
leaky dummy load. It surprises me that this could be viewed as a "system" by
the FCC and woul
 d receive certification to be put in the hands of the general public. It seems
to be that the sale of these "systems" would be a bane to the WISP community.

Are these truly FCC certified?

Greg