Fair enough.  I also get bitchy sometimes when conversations go awry and the
point is lost for something I care about, so...sorry for my part in that....
like I hope the guy's question about install vehicles actually got ANSWERED
;)

You get what you pay for.  In the Mikrotik router game for port density
there seems to be no middle ground where we have 10 or 12 ports but not with
the horsepower that's out there now.

I'd like to have at least 8 ports at every site so that I don't have to
include a switch:

2 for backhauls
3 for APs
1 for UPS
1 for remote power control unit
1 for laptop access when technician is there

I want to put these EVERYWHERE, and I don't want to pay $1400 just to add a
router at every tower.  I've got 20 towers and I know others have way more
than that.  20x$1400=$28000.  20x$400=$8000.

There are towers that I could use 3 or 4 more for additional access points,
and some that need additional throughput and in those cases I could go for
the higher end models.

I just looked at the docs for the RB1100...

It says "thirteen individual gigabit ethernet ports, two 5-port switch
groups, and includes ethernet bypass capability"

The two questions I have:

1. The "5-port switch groups"... Does this mean that the individual ports
can't be routed independently of the other 4 ports in the switch group?
2. The "ethernet bypass capability"... What's the application for this?