On 12/16/2010 02:07 AM, Tom DeReggi wrote:
>> AT&T/Verizion/WISPS
>> should be aggressively targeting Comcast subscribers with much better
>> rates, and peering with L3/Netflix everywhere.
>>
>> This is what an ASN and your own IP space buys you.
>>

> Well thats part of the problem. Do we really have that option?
>
> L3 and Netflix often deny peering requests from smaller operators. They dont
> let us play, and dont always allow us the option to share in the savings.
> So what do you think NetFlix's mentality is.... If we were to want to
> interconnect.... Would they ask us to eat the cost to build out to them, or
> would they eat the csot to build out to us, or would we share the csot and
> meet in the middle? Everyone thinks they are more valluable than the small
> local provider, and the small local provider usually gets leveraged into
> paying the cost to interconnect.  Why shouldn't WISPs have peering
> relationships direct with NetFlix, where either party pays the other for
> having higher push traffic? Why are we not worthy to be the recipient of
> compinsation in peering?

Let's get some data around this. How many WISPS here have tried to peer?
With whom? On what terms? I know Akamai has traffic commits. Do the
other players? Let's start some open dialog and as an industry leverage
our collective bargaining power to peer. Generic hand waving and saying
"big boys won't let us in the sandbox" doesn't work for me as an
operator. I like specifics.

That's something I'm hoping to do with socalwifi.net. I want to create a
WISP friendly carrier. Peer with me over a private AS and I'll peer with
all the other guys at various interconnection points. Or something like
that. I'm working with some top tier networking talent here in the
southland to build out the infrastructure.

In short I'm building my own middle mile. Of course the socal area is
full of carrier neutral interconnection points with wireless meet me
rooms. Other areas of the country not so much.

> Dont misunderstand me, I do not mean to stereo type and I am not saying for
> sure that NetFlix or any content provider aren't willing to peer or talk
> about fair terms. I'm just saying, who's in control of whether it will
> occur?

Simple. The eyeball network and the content provider. Not the feds. Not
the FCC. A direct 1 to 1 relationship (or an open peering fabric).