On 03/06/2011 09:18 AM, John Scrivner wrote:
> The FBI told me (and I am paraphrasing) that if you work with them
> that they will work with you. Basically as long as you are not acting
> like you do not think they have a right to do the tap and are not
> being a pain in the behind then you will get all the support you need
> from them in a lawful intercept situation. I would say that having
> this box on the shelf shows your intentions of being compliant to the
> act. CALEA is all about 2 things. It is about making sure that tools
> exist to find and stop crime on the Internet and about making sure
> that we help be a check against government becoming too intrusive.

Correct.  Protect the rights of our customers, protect the rights of the
service provider AND allow for what LEA needs to get a conviction for
the guilty party.  All of these are built into CALEA.

> CALEA has many regs which say when we are doing too much to help tap
> connections.  The WISPA CALEA standard was created to act as a
> guideline for WISPs. It tells precisely what our obligations are in
> helping assure we can perform lawful intercepts in our network and in
> preventing overstepping the bounds of what is lawful.

In addition, the WCS for IPNA provides technical requirements as well.
It defines the technical standard that our software/hardware MUST meet.
For the original poster:  Be sure you are familiar enough with the way
the MT handles the CALEA software so that you can properly capture this
data for the LEA.  Mikrotik's CALEA implementation is 2 parts.  It
requires a server AND a "tap".  One box CAN be both pieces.

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://store.wispgear.net/    * Wired or Wireless Networks       *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * ImageStream, Mikrotik and MORE!  *
*                NOTE THE NEW PHONE NUMBER: 702-537-0979           *