On 8 March 2011 15:49, Scottie Arnett <sarn...@info-ed.com> wrote:

> I have a client that is wanting CCTV cameras to cover a large marina. Some
> of the places they want cameras are close to a 1/2 mile away. Has anyone
> used wireless cameras and a wireless network to accomplish something like
> this?
>
> I am thinking along the lines of using Ubiquiti Equipment in 2.4Ghz. I
> assume I need to get wireless IP camera's instead of the regular wireless
> cctv camera's that have their own sender and transmitter?
>
> Anyone have any ideas? I think most CCTV cable has around a 1000ft
> limitation. They want the camera's coming back to one office, but this is
> going to have to require going across water and land and up to distances
> of 1/2 mile.

Like the other poster said, most cams with built in wireless aren't so hot.
Lots of cams with little 3db omnis and no polling won't work so well.

What I have done with good success is used standard IP/Ethernet cams, and
connected them to Ubnt or MT radios with panels, and built a small ptmp
network. Depending on the size, you can also build a ring, latency isn't an
issue, as long as there is sufficient bandwidth.