There is definately a need for different queue types at different points on
the network. Multiple Queue types have been developed because there are
different problems to solve for different situations.

What I question is when it is necessary to solve a problem. I hardly justify
a complete network queueing standard overhaul, just to satisfy the abilty to
perform a single stream TCP test to Speak easy at full speed, when most
business circuits serve many TCP streams at a time to fill capacity.

So it boils down to weighing the scale of how bad the problem is and how
badly the customers notices it. There can be a very fine line on which
Queueing methods are required for specific cases, and sometimes picking one
makes it easier to consistently implement, even if there are some trade
offs. On our core routers we've found RED to work well.  But we also have
other areas where we queue where we use other things, such building routers
or customer routers.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband