I've been asked by the powers that be in a nearby small municipality to remote
control their generators as I have done on our own, so they can quickly shut it
down when lightning approaches. They just lost one of their 500KVA generators
to lightning. I'd be volunteering my time and expertise in return for brownie
points.

What I did where I live is use UBNT 2.4GHz gear because the distance is short
and it's line of site.

Where I've been asked to do this job the layout is the generator is up on a
small hill on the far side of the peak from the town (not line of site). The
link distance would be about a mile. The hilltop has a smooth rounded
transition, not a jagged peak. I'm wondering if 900MHz would be choice here
since it's nlos.

If I did this in 2.4GHz I think I'd need an intermediate hop. There is a
convenient place to put an intermediate hop which might consist of a
Picostation plus car battery, charge controller and solar panel. The problem
with this is the complexity, cost and theft issues.

There's no good data for the area to do something like Radio Mobile.

I'm just curious what people's experience has been with 900MHz and hills.

Thanks!
Greg