Victoria,

                I have made this suggestion a couple of times to various
members of the board over the years and I will do it again. In the days
following hurricane Katrina members of WISPA discovered how difficult it is
to help in disasters when you are not part of a recognized group in the
emergency management system. Many WISP's are also Amateur Radio operators
(hams's). This group is recognized by both the FCC and emergency management
agencies as a participating agency and has memorandums of understanding in
place with non-governmental organizations (NGO's) such as the Salvation Army
and the Red Cross through their national organization call the American
Radio Relay League (ARRL www.arrl.org) . This group of people typically
belong to the Amateur Radio Emergency Services (ARES) and/or the Radio
Amateur Civil Emergency Service (RACES). They are trained in providing
disaster communications and are an integral part of the Incident Command
System. They have a national training program and a full-fledged field
organization nationwide.

                I would recommend that WISPA establish a memorandum of
understanding with the ARRL and do our best to integrate disaster efforts
outside of helping individual WISP companies. Being able to establish
internet and/or point to point Ethernet connectivity is very important after
a disaster. WISP's can quickly do this. Being part of a recognized
organization will help eliminate the problems associated with trying to do
so in a disaster area.

                I will help with this committee, you should reach out to the
ham wisp list that was created to see who else from that group would like to
participate.

Thank You,

Brian Webster

www.wirelessmapping.com