I'm still getting settled in with Zimbra. For general users, I believe
you can dummy Zimbra down, but then you have the extra functionality for
internal use or for up-selling to business clients.You can easily
implement a multi-server solution for redundancy and load sharing. My
current implementation has 7 (virtual) servers and I can easily add more
as demand requires. It also has one of the best webmail interfaces I've
seen.

http://www.zimbra.com/learn/customer-list.html They have a wide range of
customers, including Comcast which has 17M+ customers.

Many WISPs treat email as a disease, but I fully embrace it and consider
it to be a linchpin in attracting and maintaining valuable customers.

As far as APIs go, they do have a provisioning command line utility
http://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Bulk_Provisioning. They also have a SOAP API
in their source code (ZimbraServer/docs/soap.txt).
http://zimbra.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/zimbra/trunk/ZimbraServer/docs/soap.txt?revision=843&view=markup

<http://zimbra.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/zimbra/trunk/ZimbraServer/docs/soap.txt?revision=843&view=markup>

http://zimbra.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/zimbra/trunk/ZimbraServer/docs/soap-admin.txt?view=markup

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com

On 1/9/2012 7:18 AM, Paolo Di Francesco wrote:
> why Zimbra?
>
> The reason why I Asked is that it looks more like an enterprise
> environment more than an ISP product (I hope I expressed the concept)
>
> The point is that maybe it's too difficult to use for an average user
> who only wants to download the emails.
>
> Question: does it have any API to be "controlled" by external softwares?
>
> Comments are welcome!
>

>> I am moving all of my boxes to Zimbra.
>>
>> -----
>> Mike Hammett
>> Intelligent Computing Solutions
>> http://www.ics-il.com
>>

>> On 1/8/2012 11:18 AM, Paolo Di Francesco wrote:
>>> Dear All
>>>
>>> I am wondering what you are using to give email boxes to customers.
>>>
>>> In particular:
>>>
>>> 1) POP3/IMAP/SMTP, etc
>>> 2) spam/virus filtering
>>> 3) APIs so that it's possible to automate the processes (e.g. email box
>>> creation)