Unless he is looking at overlaying on an existing network (as is alluded
to at the bottom of this email), UniFi will handle basically everything
he is asking for with about 1 hour worth of custom scripting for the
authentication/payment piece.

Mikrotik will certainly handle this, but the implementation time would
be significantly more.  If he is wanting to do this over the top of an
existing network, then UniFi would not work, but Mikrotik certainly will.