I think the point of the article is once big government got out of the way,
private interests (i.e. businesses) ran with the idea and it flourished.

Best,

Brad

From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Fred Goldstein
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:22 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] That Internet invention too often wrongly cited to
justify big government.

At 7/31/2012 08:57 AM, Cliff Lebouef wrote:

Gordon Crovitz: Who Really Invented the Internet?

7/24/12 The Wall Street Journal

Yes, Crovitz' article got some serious reactions from the people who were
actually there, the Internet old timers.  He began by confusing "Ethernet"
with "Internet", perhaps because they rhyme and are both high-techy things,
which to a finance guy like him make them equivalent.  Then he completely
distorts the history of the ARPANET and how the Internet evolved from it.
He wasn't there.  I was, and I was at BBN in the 1970s when we were building
the ARPANET for the government.  And I was at BBN in 1994 when they bought
three of the previously government-sponsored NSFnet regional nets from their
university owners and created a commercial ISP business.

Just goes to show you that when Rupert Murdoch wants to spread a lie, he'll
spread a real whopper.

 --
 Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
 ionary Consulting                http://www.ionary.com/