They do lightning protection with very expensive commercial protectors, and the
new solid state transmitters can sense the condition and momentarily shut down
while the protector is doing it's thing which is basically becoming a
short-circuit to pass the energy to ground, otherwise the transmitter would
provide enough power to keep the protector in the fired state, and the
transmitter wouldn't be too happy looking into a short-circuit.

Greg