From: "Butch Evans" <but...@butchevans.com>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2012 1:16:07 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Ubiquiti Radios as routers

On Fri, 2012-10-19 at 12:55 -0500, Simon Westlake wrote:
> I completely agree and I think it is a goal the WISP industry needs to
> work towards - the provisioning of CPE is still a nightmare in
> comparison to DOCSIS. PPPoE is not a good solution, IMO - it's arguably
> better than nothing but you shouldn't have to rely on the customer
> supplied equipment being configured correctly to just auth to the
> network - that's the job of the ISP CPE.

In some regards, I agree with your take on this.  It isn't really fair
to compare ethernet-like protocols that WISPs use to DOCSIS, though.
DOCSIS is it's own transport and one of the things that was built into
the standard is authentication.  That is not so with ethernet-like
protocols.  There IS some level of authentication available for this
purpose, however.  We can use radio/AP authentication based on MAC
addresses of radios, which offers at least a small amount of security.
We have SOME proprietary protocol devices, such as Canopy, AirMAX and
nstreme, that offer various levels of security and authentication
mechanisms (most are still MAC-based).  The problem is that even with
this authentication, it is still not provisioning.  The main issue to
contend with regarding provisioning is the difference between physical
connectivity (Cables) vs RF connectivity that requires SOME
configuration in the CPE to even allow it to connect in the first place.
There are a number of methods to provide CPE provisioning beyond that
first step, which ARE easy to accomplish.

> It's not even that hard of a problem to solve in the grand scheme of things.

This is true.  If there were only some software company that would come
up with a way to make this easier and add some level of security into
the mix....  :-)

* Butch Evans                * Professional Network Consultation   *
* http://www.butchevans.com/ * Network Engineering                 *
* http://store.wispgear.net/ * Wired or Wireless Networks          *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/ * ImageStream, Mikrotik and MORE!    *
*          NOTE THE NEW PHONE NUMBER: 702-537-0979                 *