From: "Faisal Imtiaz" <fai...@snappydsl.net>
To: wireless@wispa.org
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2012 5:52:21 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Ubiquiti Radios as routers

i will respectfully disagree......WISP Industry is rather a broad
Term... How one provider (WISP or otherwise) sets up  their Service
DMARC / Delivery of the Service is totally dependent on the WISP and to
Whom they are delivering the Service  to.

If you are saying what you are saying in the context of a Residential
Service Provider, there is plenty of proven options on how to define
that handoff...
If you are talking about Business service providers then the answer can
be very different.

While this conversation is very interesting, I am thinking about how
this applies to us.... We are not delivering Residential Service, and
for businesses we do an Ethernet Hand-off, sometimes it is directly off
the UBNT Radio, other times we install a Mikrotik Router as the Dmarc.

Doing this gives us the the ultimate flexibility to mix and match
service for the Customer, even in cases where they are wanting to have
L2 Transport and not internet access.. We use EoIP tunnels to accomplish
that for them.

While it is nice to have an automated system, but keep in mind that
automated system and Flexibility are polar opposites.  In my Opinion
WISP's are specialty providers, and as such have to offer Flexibility...

In case of Residential Service ... There are existing documented ways of
creating a Walled Garden, and letting the users Register, Cable Industry
uses this approach for authenticating the Modems and matching them to a
Subscriber Account..

However, I believe that what Fred is talking about is not something that
applies fully to Residential Service.... (Remember all Resi BroadBand is
classified as best effort, and there is a good reason for it...)

While I can understand Fred asking about CE (Carrier Ethernet) showing
up in WISP's networks, I am still puzzled as to the need of CE in Radios
or Routers... Mikrotiks are routers, and very flexible tools.... There
is nothing stopping anyone today to deploy these in combination with CE
switches...

The question of the day then becomes, is the problem the WISP's face,
have to do with the equipment they are using (not having these
functionality), or is the problem the WISP, building their network in a
Layered approach so that the Common Denominators (of functionality) can
be used as a mass provisioning tool....

I personally think that most WISP's want their Radios / devices to do
everything in the world for them, and do it extremely well, and do it
for a very in-expensive cost. which of course is not reality.

Customer Provisioning  and Customer management are 'Systems' and not a
device or protocol.... AT&T / Comcast  / Verizon, have the CPE mfg.
write special firmware for them to auto provision the devices, WISP's
can accomplish the same or similar using a Systems approach.

Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet & Telecom
7266 SW 48 Street
Miami, Fl 33155