From: Scott Reed <sr...@nwwnet.net>
Date: 07/20/2013  7:59 PM  (GMT-07:00)
To: WISPA General List <wireless@wispa.org>
Subject: Re: [WISPA] [WISPA - Offlist] OSPF Tutorial/Guide

I know that is how Cisco figures default values, but it is not always the best.
 I may have a 10M wire link and a 54M wireless link.  The average data flow is
5M, so want the 10M wire to be the primary because it is more reliable.  I
would give it a lower cost than the faster wireless link.

If you have a wireless link that you know suffers from temperature inversion
problems every morning and one that doesn't, but is slower, you may want the
slower, more reliable link to have the lower cost so that your reliability
stays high, but if that link goes down, you still have a link to use.

As with most things in this business, there are general guidelines, but you
also have to know your network and make informed decisions, not just follow
some rule of thumb.