From: Fred Goldstein <fgoldst...@ionary.com>
Date: 10/14/2013  11:57 PM  (GMT-05:00)
To: wireless@wispa.org
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Siklu/Dragonwave 80 Ghz..

On 10/14/2013 11:08 PM, Robert wrote:
> What are the max distances these will do with the 3 foot dishes?
> (moderate rain, not tropical rain)...

I don't think we have pushed the envelope here.  I've seen the charts,
though.  It very much depends on your tolerance for outages.  If this is
the sole link to some place, and it is mission-critical, then you can't
tolerate much down time and you can get really hurt by rain.  If the
rain is falling 40 mm/hour, it could knock around 15 dB/km off your
path, which doesn't get you very far.  But that's unusual here in the
northeast; most storms are maybe half that strong. Three or four miles
should be quite reliable; a 10-mile link might be workable if you have a
fallback path, but we haven't done it.

> On 10/14/2013 07:47 PM, Fred Goldstein wrote:
>> On 10/14/2013 7:33 PM, Bob Moldashel wrote:
>>> OK.  So a customer pops up out of no where and says he is interested in
>>> one of these links.  Does anyone have any positive/negative/neutral
>>> comments/experience?
>>>
>>> On or off list
>>>

>> We have a few Dragonwaves going, 50 and 200 Mbps, some for a few miles
>> in an urban core environment, and they seem pretty nice.  The licensed
>> 80 GHz band has much better range than unlicensed 60 GHz, though of
>> course the very narrow beamwidth means you have to have a good antenna
>> mount and be careful about storm damage, or about some bozo working on
>> the roof who disturbs it.

  Fred R. Goldstein      k1io    fred "at" interisle.net
  Interisle Consulting Group
  +1 617 795 2701