And to pick on law makers, if you have to already be in the business to be considered a contractor, then how the heck do you get your first client?

On 03/05/2014 04:07 PM, Forrest Christian (List Account) wrote:
Directly on point for you:

http://dlr.sd.gov/ui/publications/independent_vs_employee_fact_sheet.pdf

"South Dakota Codified Law 61-1-11 states to be considered an independent contractor, a worker must be both free from direction and control and have an independently established business. Since other state and federal agencies may have slightly different definitions of independent contractors, their criteria may not apply to South Dakota
Unemployment Insurance.
The courts have defined both portions of the South Dakota statute. The first portion of the statute concerns control. Although individuals may have freedom of action in the way work can be performed, control can still be exercised through other means such as written or verbal agreements or a contract. What really matters is who has the legal
right to control the outcome of the work.
The second portion of the statute concerns whether the individual is customarily engaged in an independently established trade, occupation, profession, or business. The word independently means a trade, occupation, profession, or business must be established independently of, and exist separately from, the services rendered to the alleged employer. The present tense "is" indicates the individual must be engaged in such independent activity at the time of rendering the service to the alleged employer. "

The linked .pdf has more information, and I'm sure state government will help you further...

-forrest