Some clarification:

These were $99 connectorized radios which I chose because I am interested
in a cheap upgrade from rockets or a more stable alternative to mikrotik.
On a 40mhz channel I'm sure you'd see a benefit from the gigabit eth ports
on the $500 radios.

When I say limiting it to 90Mbps eliminated the latency spike, that is true
for aggregate as well. So If I limited it to 50Mbps TX and 40Mbps RX, it
would not spike, if I limited TX to 50Mbps and left RX open, it would run
up to ~55-60Mbps RX and then I saw the latency spike. I did this to
eliminate 100mbps eth port as a bottleneck in testing.

I am not real familiar with the Buffer Bloat issue Fred mentioned, but I
can confirm I was seeing these results for >10 minutes constant using the
Mikrotik bandwidth test, TCP, 20 connections, whatever packet size is the
default (I think large).

I was testing using a CCR at one end and a RB450 at the tower end. The 450
CPU may have been a bottleneck but througput was still much higher than the
Rockets. I did ping the RB450 from a different interface and the ping times
were normal so the latency spike was not due to CPU load on the RB450.

Chris