If you keep these rules in mind, you will be able to sort out the confusion ...

MT are routers..
Each Physical Port is an interface.
   Vlan is tied to a Port (as such ports are Trunk Ports), and each VLAN/Port
Combination is an virtual interface.
If you want to make Two Interfaces talk to each others as one then you need to
create a Bridge and put in the physical or virtual interface, in that bridge.

-------
e.g. if you define a vlan 20 on port 2 and  define a vlan 20 on port 3, each of
these two are independent virtual interfaces... i.e. vlan20/pt2 will not talk
to vlan20/pt3...(but you can route between then as if they were two separate
ports)

If you want both of these vlan20's to be the same network, then you need to
create a bridge called brvlan20, and put the two vlan20 in it.

Hope it makes sense ?
--------

Any time you use a bridge to connect (virtual interface or physical interfaces)
together, then all IP services need to be assigned to the Bridge, so that they
are visible on all interfaces in the bridge group.

--------

BTW, a bridge is also a virtual interface, not tied to any port.... it is
commonly used in this manner as a loopback interface.. (you can assign a /32,
i.e. single ip to such an interface)

Hope this helps ...

Regards.

Faisal Imtiaz