So far as public service commission, that will depend on the services that
you offer.
In some states you may have to collect and remit fees and taxes for
non-Internet services (commonly L1-L2 services). You likely don't have to
ask permission to start but if you sell the wrong thing you open a big can
of worms.

E.g. in my state if you sell someone internet access and they use it for a
EoIP tunnel, that's not regulated. If you sell them a EoIP tunnel, that's
regulated.