From: l...@mwtcorp.net [mailto:l...@mwtcorp.net]
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2014 4:59 PM
To: WISPA General List; Matt Brendle
Subject: Re: [WISPA] VoIP - Who is using successfully?

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 15:56:33 -0400
  "Matt Brendle" <mattagator.mailingli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So a question for the masses.  We are selling VoIP services and the
> number of Support Calls we get about poor performance is more than I would
expect.
> Our basic setup is UBNT backhauls and APs, Mikrotik infrastructure
> routers, and CISCO/Linksys ATAs.  Primarily Vitelity accounts.  We get
> complaints of choppiness and other issues, and I wanted to see what
> others are using successfully.  I am currently making a test procedure
> to try to find out where the issue is, but if anybody has success
> stories and example setups that would be great.

We've been doing VOIP across dsl, dedicated and wireless circuits for years.
It's a fairly simple engineering task that is very detail oriented. Jitter
is the killer. I have and am using Cisco, Force 10, Mikrotik, UBNT, Radwin
and MRV equipment. They all work but you have to look for any possible spot
where there can be congestion and plan a way through. Mikrotik's are
particularity difficult because they don't re-order packets. You make room
by throwing something else away. Like everything Mikrotik it takes some
middle to both edges thinking.

Regularly sniff your voice traffic and be sure that the dscp/tos codes are
there. Some switches/ providers will remove them. You can build an entire
network with a pristine voice channel in it to find your voip running best
effort. I have had that happen more than once.

Also remember adding bandwidth on one link can create two or more new
congestion points someplace else. details, details, details but once you get
it right it's something to behold.

> I know that is a rather broad question, but I want to make this work
> and get our Support Calls down.
>

> Matt - NC Wireless

Larry Ash
Network Administrator