We use the Prowl application for sending notifications to iPhones. It's really
neat app that allows you the send push notifications/alerts to iOS devices. We
use it for outage and network alerts.

It has one alert tone that keeps beeping for a while and it's super annoying.
You can use those for the critical high-level alerts, and a quieter alert tone
for more mundane alerts. And there are several in-between.

We use it with our in-house monitoring system that monitors every device in the
network (radios, routers, switches, and PacketFlux Site Monitor units). Ours is
currently set up to send alerts for outages, packet loss, utility power
loss/restoration, OSPF flaps, etc.

Check it out:
http://www.prowlapp.com/

Brett Woollum