On Jun 19, 2009, at 9:25 AM, Jeff Morriss wrote:

> Well, I don't know if it's the same for all protocols, but it's
> usually
> set to one of these defines:
>
> epan/packet_info.h:#define P2P_DIR_UNKNOWN      -1

...which means "there's not enough information in the file to
determine the direction".

> epan/packet_info.h:#define P2P_DIR_SENT 0
> epan/packet_info.h:#define P2P_DIR_RECV 1
> epan/packet_info.h:#define P2P_DIR_UL   0
> epan/packet_info.h:#define P2P_DIR_DL   1
>
> It's useful in protocols when you know you're the sender or the
> receiver
> (and that makes a difference when dissecting).

Although, in some places, it just matters whether the traffic is going
"to the left" or "to the right"; if, for example, the capture comes
from a passive tap, you're *a* receiver for all of it, but you still
might be able to tell the difference between the two directions.

For some protocols, where you have a network endpoint communicating
with a network (ISDN, for example), "sent" should probably mean "user
to network" and "received" should probably mean "network to user".