On Aug 11, 2011, at 11:16 AM, Tyson Key wrote:

> Whilst no-one's looking into implementing support for attaching comments to
> packets (as far as I'm aware); someone recently wrote a patch to enable
> reading comments from pcap-ng/NTAR files, and attached it to bug #6229.

Actually, that bug sounds more like "if a packet has a comment attached to it,
Wireshark won't even read the packet data correctly"; the fix doesn't cause
Wireshark to process the comment, it just causes it not to screw up if a packet
*has* a comment.  I.e., we need to fix this before we even consider allowing
comments to be added to packets, and should backport the fix to the 1.6 and 1.4
branches (that might still leave older versions of Wireshark incapable of
reading pcap-ng files with comments attached to them).