I've taken the pre-commit hook file provided in \tools and put it in my git
hooks folder.  However, whenever I commit something (I've focused mostly on
dissector patches and they all fail this way), it fails with "Search pattern
not terminated at ./tools/checkhf.pl line 564."

When I run checkhf.pl from the Windows command-line, I don't get any errors at
all.

Suggestions?  I only thing I can come up with is different a version of perl is
being called from the pre-commit than from command-line.  I don't consciously
have multiple versions of perl installed (in Windows), so I was wondering if
others have seen (and fixed) this issue.  I would really help catch errors in
case I forget to manually run the scripts because I got frustrated and
"disabled" the pre-commit hook (which has happened already)