On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Peter Wu <pe...@lekensteyn.nl> wrote:

> You should not run Wireshark with sudo, instead set the appropriate
> privileges on the dumpcap binary as described at
> http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/CapturePrivileges

Generally speaking, you are right, and it's waht I do with my stable
wireshark. But with my development version, the setcapped binary is
overwritten every time I recompile. So I use the master compiled version
with sudo.

> > What did I do wrong?
>
> I have spend some minutes into debugging it and it turns out that you
> cannot have two open sockets for NFLOG.
>
> Reproducer:
> $ dumpcap -i nflog -w /dev/null
> Capturing on 'nflog'
> File: /dev/null
> (in a different shell)
> $ dumpcap -i nflog -w /dev/null
> Capturing on 'nflog'
> dumpcap: The capture session could not be initiated on interface 'nflog'
> (Can't listen on group group index: Operation not permitted).
> Please check to make sure you have sufficient permissions, and that you
> have the proper interface or pipe specified.
>
> The difference between GTK and Qt is that Qt additionally executes
> `dumpcap -S -Z none` which seems to open a socket for each available
> interface to collect stats.
>
> At this point I stopped debugging, hope it helps.

If I've got the point, wireshark QT is not expected to work with nflog,
right? If stats can't be stopped, it won't work.