From: wireshark-dev-boun...@wireshark.org
[mailto:wireshark-dev-boun...@wireshark.org] On Behalf Of Graham Bloice
Sent: 16 September 2016 09:55
To: Developer support list for Wireshark <wireshark-dev@wireshark.org>
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Correct procedure for pushing a new dissector to
Gerrit

On 15 September 2016 at 21:56, Paul Offord
<paul.off...@advance7.com<mailto:paul.off...@advance7.com>> wrote:
Hi,

I’m trying to upload a new dissector to Gerrit.  I don’t seem to be able to
push it and I seem to be uploading too many objects.  This is what I get:

C:\Development\Wireshark>set HOMEPATH=

C:\Development\Wireshark>git status
On branch bug12892
Untracked files:
  (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)

        CMakeListsCustom.txt
        plugins/bds/
        plugins/transum/
        wireshark-win64-libs/

nothing added to commit but untracked files present (use "git add" to track)

C:\Development\Wireshark>git add plugins/transum/

C:\Development\Wireshark>git status
On branch bug12892
Changes to be committed:
  (use "git reset HEAD <file>..." to unstage)

        new file:   plugins/transum/AUTHORS
        new file:   plugins/transum/CMakeLists.txt
        new file:   plugins/transum/COPYING
        new file:   plugins/transum/Makefile.am
        new file:   plugins/transum/NEWS
        new file:   plugins/transum/README
        new file:   plugins/transum/decoders.c
        new file:   plugins/transum/decoders.h
        new file:   plugins/transum/extractors.c
        new file:   plugins/transum/extractors.h
        new file:   plugins/transum/moduleinfo.h
        new file:   plugins/transum/packet-transum.c
        new file:   plugins/transum/packet-transum.h
        new file:   plugins/transum/plugin.rc.in<http://plugin.rc.in>
        new file:   plugins/transum/preferences.h

Untracked files:
  (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)

        CMakeListsCustom.txt
        plugins/bds/
        wireshark-win64-libs/

C:\Development\Wireshark>git branch
* bug12892
  master

C:\Development\Wireshark>git commit
[bug12892 ec12fab] Initial upload of TRANSUM code Bug: 12892
15 files changed, 2715 insertions(+)
create mode 100644 plugins/transum/AUTHORS
create mode 100644 plugins/transum/CMakeLists.txt
create mode 100644 plugins/transum/COPYING
create mode 100644 plugins/transum/Makefile.am
create mode 100644 plugins/transum/NEWS
create mode 100644 plugins/transum/README
create mode 100644 plugins/transum/decoders.c
create mode 100644 plugins/transum/decoders.h
create mode 100644 plugins/transum/extractors.c
create mode 100644 plugins/transum/extractors.h
create mode 100644 plugins/transum/moduleinfo.h
create mode 100644 plugins/transum/packet-transum.c
create mode 100644 plugins/transum/packet-transum.h
create mode 100644 plugins/transum/plugin.rc.in<http://plugin.rc.in>
create mode 100644 plugins/transum/preferences.h

C:\Development\Wireshark>git push https://pauloff...@code.wireshark.org/review/w
ireshark HEAD:refs/for/master/bug12892
Password for 'https://pauloff...@code.wireshark.org':
Counting objects: 3708, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (1375/1375), done.
Writing objects: 100% (3708/3708), 5.15 MiB | 117.00 KiB/s, done.
Total 3708 (delta 2980), reused 3033 (delta 2331)
remote: Resolving deltas: 100% (2980/2980)
remote: Processing changes: refs: 1, done
remote: ERROR: missing Change-Id in commit message footer
remote:
remote: Hint: To automatically insert Change-Id, install the hook:
remote:   gitdir=$(git rev-parse --git-dir); scp -p -P 29418
pauloff...@code.wir<mailto:pauloff...@code.wir>
eshark.org:hooks/commit-msg ${gitdir}/hooks/
remote: And then amend the commit:
remote:   git commit --amend
remote:
To https://pauloff...@code.wireshark.org/review/wireshark
! [remote rejected] HEAD -> refs/for/master/bug12892 (missing Change-Id in comm
it message footer)
error: failed to push some refs to 'https://pauloff...@code.wireshark.org/review
/wireshark'

C:\Development\Wireshark>

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks and regards…Paul

Paul,

Head over to the Wiki pages for using git on Windows
(https://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/SubmittingPatches/GitForWindows) and
submitting patches (https://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/SubmittingPatches).

I thoroughly recommend using git-review, as this tool reduces some of the
git\Gerrit arcana, e.g. the commit ID.  To push a commit for review (assuming
you've checked out a git branch) is simply "git-review".

--
Graham Bloice

this e-mail from your system.

Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of Advance Seven Ltd. E-mail transmission cannot be
guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted,
corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the
contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.

Advance Seven Ltd. Registered in England & Wales numbered 2373877 at Endeavour
House, Coopers End Lane, Stansted, Essex CM24 1SJ