Hi again,

Can somebody point to me any simple example? I am able to tap the dissector
but I would like to write now a simple app that prints a message in the
terminal every time the packet() function is called. I know this looks
simple, but it's been some time and I can't get this running...

Thanks,
Juanjo Martin

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 9:10 PM, Guy Harris <g...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2017, at 9:51 AM, Juan Jose Martin Carrascosa <jua...@rti.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I would like to write a new GUI to show nicely the information obtained
> from the RTPS dissector. Can Wireshark help with that?
>
> There is no provision in Wireshark for showing the raw dissection result
> (the protocol tree) differently.  This is intentional - dissectors are
> supposed to exist, and work, independently of any particular UI code
> (that's why TShark works).
>
> If you want to show information in some *other* form, you should write a
> tap with a GUI.  See doc/README.tapping for information on writing a tap.
> The tap's per-packet function is passed an epan_dissect_t pointer (which
> includes a pointer to the *entire* protocol tree, not just the subtree for
> the protocol being tapped) and a const void * that points to whatever data
> the dissector passes to the tap.

Juanjo Martin
Senior Application Engineer
Professional Services Group