From: wireshark-dev-boun...@wireshark.org
[mailto:wireshark-dev-boun...@wireshark.org] On Behalf Of Michael Mann
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 7:57 AM
To: wireshark-dev@wireshark.org
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Debugging an assertion failure

There were a lot of suggestions on how to break on the failure point (which I
can't help with), but if you just go to the line it complains about (it's
slightly different in the master branch I have), you come up with:

* Make sure that only lower-case ASCII letters, numbers,
* underscores, hyphens, and dots appear in the name.
*
* Crash if there is, as that's an error in the code;
* you can make the title a nice string with capitalization,
* white space, punctuation, etc., but the name can be used
* on the command line, and shouldn't require quoting,
* shifting, etc.

So I would say the issue is that you have a invalid character in your
preference name or description.