On Apr 14, 2017, at 4:26 PM, Michael Mann <mman...@netscape.net> wrote:

> This is an interesting problem because I'm not sure where the "data
> crunching" should really be done (GUI vs dissector).

By which you presumably mean "UI code of some sort vs. dissector", because...

> For statistics dialogs, I think more data computation is done in the GUI
> (taking information from taps).

...*tabular* statistics should, by and large, have as little GUI code of their
own as possible, preferably none - that way, the tabular statistic can be used
in TShark (write the table to the standard output) and in whatever GUIs are
being used for Wireshark (show a table via the GUI) and....