There's also this explanation:
https://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/201701/msg00005.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quan...@gmail.com>
To: Developer support list for Wireshark <wireshark-dev@wireshark.org>
Sent: Fri, Oct 6, 2017 3:06 am
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] XXXX: avoid appending xxxx multiple times to
frame.protocols field

Hi Roland,

Personally I think moving to a set would reduce functionality for some
applications. Industrial ethernet applications for instance heavily rely on
multiple protocols being transported in single frames multiple times (one UDP
packet contains a lot of openSAFETY frames, which themselve could contain data
dissectors).

So -1 for me for moving to a set.

 @Pascal - could you point me in the direction of Michael's change you
mentioned (pino stuff)?