While investigating the transum-related crash, I had suspected some
unregistered hf's and ran the various tools like checkhf.pl.  I then noticed
that a number of dissectors seemed to have changed a bit from what I was used
to before, which lead me to the realization that at least some of these scripts
no longer work as effectively as they once did, at least as far as I can tell.

For example, if you remove an hf entry from the packet-wol.c's hf_register_info
array and run checkhf.pl on packet-wol.c, you get output like this:

$ tools/checkhf.pl epan/dissectors/packet-wol.c
ERROR: NO ARRAY: epan/dissectors/packet-wol.c: hf_wol_passwd

... but if you remove an entry from the packet-udp.c's header_field_info, such
as &hfi_udp_srcport, then checkhf.pl won't detect it.  Later you end up with a
dissector bug when running Wireshark of the form:

      10:44:53.343          Warn Dissector bug, protocol UDP, in packet 1:
proto.c:3377: failed assertion "(guint)hfinfo->id < gpa_hfinfo.len"
(Unregistered hf!)

While it's nice to get the warning, the bug would have been caught much earlier
using the checkhf.pl tool had the code been structured like it used to be.  Do
these tools need to be updated to detect problems that were easily caught
previously?

And I guess I missed the reasoning behind the restructuring, but what is the
purpose/benefit of this restructuring and use of HAVE_HFI_SECTION_INIT?

Thanks.
- Chris

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is the property of International Game
Technology PLC and/or its subsidiaries and may contain proprietary,
confidential or trade secret information.  This message is intended solely for
the use of the addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient and have
received this message in error, please delete this message from your system.
Any unauthorized reading, distribution, copying, or other use of this message
or its attachments is strictly prohibited.