Hi,

This was added in commit 1089bdb7d4911a5508f86a0eea59418b424b265c.

     Catches mistakes where the same variable is populated by multiple preferences:      prefs_register_bool_preference(epl_module, "show_soc_flags", "text1", "desc1",
         &show_soc_flags);
     prefs_register_bool_preference(epl_module, "show_soa_flags", "text2", "desc2",
         &show_soc_flags);

The problem is that the script is naive, because it assumes that if a variable appears in more than one call in the source code it will be used more than once in compiled code, which is clearly not the case.

It's a limitation of trying to parse C using regular expressions. I think you should just remove the check in checkAPIs.pl.

I understand the check now. So I can propose to to add exceptions to check. checkAPIs.pl has exceptions for many other checks so it can be extended to e.g. ignore arg->pref_valptr in this case.

Sure... it is a practical solution, at least until no one can understand anymore what checkAPIs.pl is or does. We still have a few years left for that so no worries. :-)

In all seriousness I think that is fine to move your MR forward. No one should be expected to fix the limitations of checkAPIs.pl IMO.

I will add exception to checkAPIs.pl in separate MR and then compilation will pass...

                                                Best regards,

                                                        Jirka Novak