EditorConfig has been in use with Wireshark for seven years at this point and it's still hit or miss to configure the indentation correctly for C.

It's not a good tool to manage inconsistent styles. That's not what it was designed for. The only advantage EditorConfig has over modelines in that case is wider editor support. The fact that the setting is hidden away is actually a (minor) disadvantage if we still need to manage each individual file.