On Feb 1, 2023, at 12:58 AM, Joakim <oak...@gmail.com> wrote:

> if you manage to add a dissector table that would be great! I believe my
> company too will implement non-standard blocks so it would be very convenient
> to have it available.

Note that what's being discussed here would *only* handle dissecting the
non-standard blocks when you're dissecting the structure of the pcapng file the
same way that we can dissect the structure of, for example, JPEG files; it
won't affect the handling of the block in libwiretap nor will it affect the
handling of it in libwireshark when you're reading a pcapng file as a capture
file rather than as some type of file whose internal structure is to be
dissected.

We already have a plugin mechanism in libwiretap for the first of those
(although the interface could, I think, be improved; I'll look at some work I
did on that) and a plugin mechanism in libwireshark (currently using the
REC_TYPE_FT_SPECIFIC_{EVENT,REPORT} block type, but that might also be
improved).

However, you might want to look at implementing *custom* blocks, instead.  If
your company has a Private Enterprise Number:

        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_Enterprise_Number

it can use them, and would not have to worry about some other organization
using the same block number that you use.