the tcpdump which comes with the system from apple does work if you specify the interface. (-i eth1)
if you dont, you hit a problem.

The wireshark installation I did (http://www.finkconsulting.com/ page7.php) was compiled with a newer version of libpcap and tcpdump which dont have this problem anymore unless you monitor the wtl interface. Wireshark works with this fine if you do "Capture- >Options" but not if you do "Capture->interfaces". The reason for this is that wireshark opens all interfaces to show the current "traffic". This includes the monitoring pseudo interface wtl which puts the WLAN offline to do monitoring.