Joerg Mayer schrieb:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 02:19:43PM -0800, Ruben Junkie wrote:
>
>> So I was lurking around eBay and found that seller
>> redlinedit<http://myworld.ebay.com/redlinedit/>is selling copies of
>> wireshark.... which is totally wrong ... this people
>> who think that they can take advantage of free distributed software must be
>> stopped ...
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/World-Leading-Internet-Network-Analyzer-Sniffer_W0QQitemZ260211008887QQihZ016QQcategoryZ3806QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>>
>> also I dugged the story for more media coverage ..
>>
>> http://digg.com/linux_unix/Wireshark_sold_on_eBay_Bad_seller_BAD
>>

> AFAIKT, the offer is perfectly legal. In return, I could legally sell
> you gcc or other Free Software. Free in Free Software means freedom of
> speech, not free as in free beer. The GPL does not forbid to sell this
> software, nor do we. The only thing that the seller could do to make
> this sale illegal would be to violate the GPL by lets say remove the
> copyright/license information and the like or by refusing to provide
> the wireshark source on request of a buyer. But unless (s)he does this,
> they are perfectly ok.
> Hey, someone paid around 12 Euros for a wireless extension cord (aka
> air), so why not sell Wireshark? If someone buys wireshark who would
> otherwise not have found and used Wireshark: Great!

You are perfectly right - as long as the terms of the GPL are fulfilled,
this is ok for me!

However, you sometimes wonder how strange the world will get from here -
seen from today where it's already very strange ;-)

But it seems to be the business model of this seller, on related
auctions there's also audacity, americas army, (blender?) ... all at
least freeware!

Regards, ULFL

P.S: He's not alone:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Advanced-Internet-Sniffer-Network-Analyzer-WEP_W0QQitemZ250213230167QQihZ015QQcategoryZ68258QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem