Grant Edwards wrote:
> I'm tracing data in a TCP connection between two devices, and
> about half way through the trace, wireshark stops displaying
> packet info and just shows [TCP segment of a reassembled PDU].
>
> It's _not_ a "TCP segment of a reassembled PDU".  It's just a
> stream of bytes.

To what does "it" refer?  The entire TCP connection is the stream of
bytes; individual packets are what are reported as TCP segments of a
reassembled PDU.

The protocol Wireshark thinks the connection is running atop TCP is done
for which it does reassembly; it appears to think that a packet
requiring reassembly is in the stream, but, for whatever reason -
perhaps TCP segments that weren't captured, or perhaps a bug - can't
finish the reassembly process for that packet.

Try turning the reassembly option off for that protocol (if it has such
an option in the preferences) or for TCP as a whole.

Could you file a bug on this, and attach a capture that shows the
problem, so, if there *is* a bug (rather than a missing packet), we can
try to fix it?  (Even if there is a missing packet, it might be possible
to get the reassembly code to handle that better.)

> I've told wireshard to not decode that TCP
> stream

What do you mean by "not decode"?

> but it still refuses to display packet info.  I think
> it's getting confused by packets that aren't part of the TCP
> stream in question.

If they're present in the capture but not part of the stream, that won't
affect the reassembly (unless there's a bug in the TCP reassembly code).