On 4/23/2019 12:32 PM, Sake Blok | SYN-bit wrote:

> Please note that RTT calculations are done from the view of the capture
> point. So if you capture near system A, the roundtrip times for traffic being
> sent from A to B will be showing the 'real' roundtrip times, as the data
> packets are seen at the capture point just slightly after they have left
> system A. Then the ACK comes in after the packet has traversed the network
> over to system B and B sent the ACK back. But when system B sends data, it
> has already travelled the network all the way to system A, then A sends the
> ACK and it is seen by the capturing machine before it travels all the way
> back to system B.
>
> So, unless you are able to capture on the remote side, you will only be able
> to deduct the TCP RTT times by looking at the traffic that is sent from our
> side to the remote side.

In my case I have an 'A', (the client), a 'B', which is the
masquerading server, and a 'C' which is the remote service.  I've been
doing my measurements on the server in between A and C, so I thought I'd
be able to pickup when packets were in transit on 'B'.  It's just that
I am getting such wild values for A->C, but the reverse look to be
much lower jitter with most packets at 1ms or less and a comparatively
few packets up around 10ms.  Vs. A->C which is showing packets all over
the place.

That's why I was thinking -- the only side even close to 1ms, could be
'A'->'B' (or rather 'B'->'A' for the reverse).  That's why I'm wondering
while I measure C->A, I get the full rtt, but when I ask for the reverse
am wondering if I am really measuring B->A.  My measuring system is
the server in the middle if that make sense.

If the measuring machine in your example is between A+B would I only see
the RTT time because of 'A's ACK or would I see it as the packet passes
through the "router" (masquerade box)?

So one of my graphs (the most chaotic looking) is measuring rtt from
'A' to 'B'