I have used the noframes tag the same way when it comes to SEO.
Currently, I have 4 framed sites popping up #1 for various 2 and 3
keyword phrases (google, yahoo, msn, aol etc.). It works very well.

The only problems I have encountered is when going to and from SSL.
As long as you use the <@userreference> in the links, the problems
are nil.

OK, I use frames, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  I love frames,
but I know I can't get well until I admit I have a problem.
But I don't have any known problems with my frames (known to me at
least), unless you count old browsers.  For 2003 (January through
December), our website had 2,041,511 hits by 117,673 different
individuals.  We have maybe 200 people in our organization accessing
the website.  That leaves about 117,473 additional users/visitors
this past year.
True, most of the website is rather simplistic, but we do have
database connectivity to a dozen or more tables, tracking 8,000 plus
clients, associated socio-demographic information, service
activities enrolled in (16,000 plus records in that table), numerous
look-up tables (the employer table has over 47,000 records), etc.,
accessed by Witango driven on-line forms that run about four deep,
and link back (jump) to other form sets.

If I have incorporated any code to accommodate the frame problems,
it was an accident. Truth is, I don't even know what problems to
look for.  So, I'm a disaster waiting to happen, or my site lacks
the requisite complexity to realize the problems, or the concern
over frames has been exaggerated.

¡Viva Marcos! Long live frames!

Troy Sosamon wrote:

I think there are some applications where frames are needed, but if you
don't need them, don't use them.

I did discover a really good things about frames a couple of years ago when
I spent a lot of time optomizing a web site for good placement in search
engiens.  If you set your site up properly using frames and then also use
the NOFRAMES tag, the search engines will index the information in the
NOFRAMES section of the web site.  You may think who cares.  Well the lovely
thing about this is that your users can see your nice pritty site in the
FRAMES section  with all of your fancey graphics, but the search engines
will spider the no frame section.  OK, now go out and buy some site
optomization software like web position gold.  You can run this on your site
and it will evaluate your site just like the search engines and it will give
you recomendations of how to move text, graphics, links, names, and other
things that the search engines look for to get high ratings.  Well now you
can go move all this stuff around and it does not have to make a lot of
sense or look very nice in the NOFRAMES part of your site.  In other words
you can customimze your site for the search engines w/o haveing to change
what the users see.

Troy Sosamon
Denver, Co.

-----Original Message----- From: Scott Cadillac [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 4:25 PM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: RE: Witango-Talk: frames

Oh boy, this should be a fun thread 8-)

Having a rare community of programmers that is complimented with probably
equal portions of Mac, Windows and some Linux/Solaris Users - you're going
to get about 40 different answers I bet.

------
Well...here goes my 3 cents.

~~ I think the technical reasons for "not" using Frames has long since gone
away.

Having said that, you need to use them properly. For example, when your site
gets crawled by Google (or other lesser search engines) use the META HTML
elements, like so:

Listing, because frame pages don't have text.">

Otherwise, your site will have no text when displayed in a Google listing.
Checkout the top 3 sites at http://www.google.com/search?q=Witango - these
sites are using frames, but have no "Description" element.

Or at least put a meaningful description in <NOFRAMES></NOFRAMES>. There is
nothing funnier than seeing a site listed in Google with a description of
"Get a better browser bozo!" - I want to do business with that guy!!!

Many search engines actually use the META elements, so it's worth some
research to boost your ranking (frames or not).

From here, Frames can help with the speed of your site, because not all your
content has to be downloaded with every page request.

Design wise, your decision can depend on the use of the site if it has a
complex menu that is a tricky to reload and reset for users.

As far as search ability by Google and others, I found my site to be very
well indexed with frames - no complaints by me.

But of course I did just recently change over to a non-frame design, just
because.

Good luck. Cheers.....

Scott Cadillac,
XML-Extranet - http://xmlx.ca
403-281-6090 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Well-formed Development
--
Extranet solutions using C# .NET, Witango, MSIE and XML