From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 8:13 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Witango-Talk: Redirects (OT)

Do not use a 404. This will kill a robot immediately (google at least). A 404 is a page not found and will stop the bot in its tracks.

You should use a 301 redirect. To do this in IIS, go to
properties/Home Directory. Click a "redirection to a URL." Fill in
the complete URL including "http://"; in the Redirect to: field. Check
the "Exact URL Entered Above" box. Check the "Permanent Redirect for
this Resource" box.

Windows 2003 Web Edition, R:Tango 5.0
Still rewriting all to multi domains/one set of apps.

Some of my tafs had to move to different folders. I want to make sure that
browsers are redirected to the new location, but that search engines will
discover page no longer exists and delete from search engine DB.

I have 2 possible methods:
1) I can use a 404.taf to redirect
2) I can use IIS 60 redirects for each page

Both will get the browser to the correct location, but how do search
engines
spiders react to each method. Do they realize that the page no longer
exists
with either method?

Thanks

Steve Fogelson