> Does the database that you are importing to able to import CSV format?  Have
> you tried just uploading file as is then automate the database import?

I'm not directly importing to the database. The database contains all sorts
of product information. The data file is product code, current stock level,
and some other guff such as title and genre.

The task is to go through each record in the data file and see if there is a
corresponding record in the db. If there is then we update the stock value
(and ignore all other fields). If there isn't we add a new record.

Someone must have developed a solution for CSVs. I guess I could parse the
file and replace all commas occuring after an even number of " but it does
seem rather archaic and probably redundant.

Wayne

                  Byte Services Pty Ltd
               http://www.byteserve.com.au/
                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Ph 02 9960 6099   Mob 0409 960 609   Fax 02 9960 6088