got frustrated and turned things around. Wanted the witango site and the PHP site to be using the same folder for pdf files. Pointing the PHP site to the folder in the witango site used to work, but stopped. Only solution was to move the folder to the PHP site and point the witango site to it. That worked.

thanks.

BTW: How can you set up an alias wrong in MacOS? It's a menu item "create alias"