Dale,

This is a tricky question.

Initially, this won’t help us. Since Apple has always provided a customized
JRE, and it was installed by default, the Studio application, Server paths and
installation tools all depend on the Java Framework to A) be there, and B) work
a certain way. Starting with OS X 10.7, we’ll now need to make sure that users
install Java (which sounds like it is automated). This will basically add an
installation step while not bringing anything new to the environment. If paths,
etc. have changed, then that’ll be another modification to the installation
process and notes.

Later on, however, Oracle will be releasing Java SE 7 on OS X and then things
get interesting. For the first time the JRE will be built by the same developer
as the JREs on other platforms. This means that we’ll have much more parity
between OS X and non-OS X. We should be able to remove some of the custom OS X
code and enhance some aspects of the system for all platforms. This will likely
affect OS integration points the most (dialogs, printing, network access, look
and feel). Oracle sounds committed to making the Java 7 JRE a “first-class
citizen” on OS X, and this will benefit TeraScribe and its OSX users.

I don’t expect to get to that point for at least another 6 months.

Robert