From: Dale Graham [mailto:dale.gra...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:01 AM
To: Witango-Talk@witango.com
Subject: Witango-Talk: A puzzler... regarding sorts and mixed capitalizations

Does any one on this list know why this is happening (and better yet, how to
fix?) this

Note that we're seeing this behavior using J2EE and compiled Witango/Terascribe
class files.

We have a list of educational degrees that are maintained in a lookup table.

We get the list, and then display the degrees in a popup, sorted alphabetically
(in theory)

While the list SEEMS to work largely correctly, it always fails where there are
mixed capitalizations.

That is

PBPM
PNP
PT
PhD

Where, obviously, PhD should have been placed after the PBPM degree, not after
the PT degree

and

SB
SJD
SM
SW
ScB
ScD
ScM

where the three Sc degrees should have been placed after the SD, not the SW...

I do have a fix in mind, but it's complicated, and I'd love to avoid using it.

E.g., create a new column, put the lower case of all the values in that, sort
on that, display the correctly capitalized degrees....