From: WebDude [mailto:webd...@cipromo.com]
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2011 1:18 PM
To: Witango-Talk@witango.com
Subject: Witango-Talk: Scoping Variables

Hi Folks,

I am currently preparing to upgrade from version 4, probably to version 6
and then up to Terascribe. I remember that syntax and scoping of variables
have changed. I am trying to prepare as much of the old files as possible
before upgrading. I will probabaly have more questions to come, but I am
going to take this a step at a time.

First question is concerning scoping variables. Presently, almost all
variables are not scoped so I am going through the ardious process of
straightening these out. A few questions, if you don't mind...

I would assume that you need to scope all <@ASSIGNs Most of the applications
have no scope assigned to them presently. Of course, the default for this is
"user" in the version I am using, but I am going to go through each assign
and scope it appropriately. Almost all are goinmg to be scoped as user, but
I have a few that can be scoped as local. Whenever calling on the variable,
such as <@VAR blah> I am also going to assume these need to be scoped as
well, as is <@VAR blah scope "user">

Do I need to scope any <@PURGE variables?
When calling a local variable, should these be scoped as well? i.e. <@VAR
blah scope "local">
What exactly is the request scope? This will be for futue reference. It
appears to be the same as the local scope. When I upgrade, will I need to
change all local scopes to request scope? Is this just a neam change to
avoid confusion

Thanks for any help!

  _____

with "unsubscribe witango-talk" in the body.