"OTOH in this case just use the proper comdlg32 msm which will do everything
properly and not break stuff (or at least if it does you can legitimately
blame microsoft..)."

Now I am completely lost. What should I do in order to "just use the
proper comdlg32 msm"?

I know that msm files are merge modules but I do not need to use them.
I am the only one who is creating this new installer.

I tried tallow but it failed for some reason. What I am doing wrong?
See tallow output:

F:\tmp\wix\didakta-fyzika-2003-klient\data>tallow -nologo -c .\PICCLP32.OCX
<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2003/01/wi";>
  <Fragment>
    <DirectoryRef Id="TARGETDIR">
      <Component Id="component0" DiskId="1" guid="PUT-GUID-HERE">
        <File Id="file0" Name="PICCLP32.OCX" src="F:\tmp\wix\didakta-fyzika-2003
-klient\data\PICCLP32.OCX" />Failed to load Assembly: .\PICCLP32.OCX
 System.BadImageFormatException: The format of the file 'PICCLP32.OCX' is invali
d.
File name: "PICCLP32.OCX"
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, B
oolean isStringized, Evidence assemblySecurity, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Ass
embly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Boolean
stringized, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFrom(String assemblyFile, Evidence security
Evidence, Byte[] hashValue, AssemblyHashAlgorithm hashAlgorithm)
   at Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Tools.TallowMain..ctor(String[] args)

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: Where-ref bind. Location = F:\tmp\wix\didakta-fyzika-2003-klient\data\PICCL
P32.OCX
LOG: Appbase = C:\program files\bin\wix\
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
Calling assembly : (Unknown).
===

LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom, partia
l, or location-based assembly bind).
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///F:/tmp/wix/didakta-fyzika-2003-klien
t/data/PICCLP32.OCX.

      </Component>
    </DirectoryRef>
  </Fragment>