Thanks John that’s good to know someone out there is going through the same thing ;-) Could I possibly get a peek at your WiX source that would replace a value within some XML as all I can see from the help is how to create a new element

From: Crouch, John [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 14 September 2006 06:20
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Cc: Simon Burgess
Subject: RE: [WiX-users] string replacement in xml files

Simon,

I have a very similar issue for an enterprise deployment next year.  I am currently using an .ini file which keeps all data for all the deployment locations by computer name (which I know in advance).

[NY-SRV-01]

This-web-config=127.0.0.1

This-exe-config=127.0.0.2

[SF-SRV-02]

This-web-config=721.0.0.1

This-exe-config=721.0.0.2

Then in my WiX generated msi I

  1. Look into the registry for the computer name – assign that to a value
  2. Look up the computer name matching the previous value in my *.ini file
  3. Read off the values that this particular msi requires.
  4. Use XMLFile to update the key values in my web and app config files.

Works fine, however, I am open to any suggestions to improve it.

Kind regards,
National Oilwell Varco

John Crouch
Software Engineer/Developer

National Oilwell Norway AS
Phone: +4751818181
Fax:     +4751800547
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.nov.com

This message, including any attachments, is intended only for the addressee and may contain privileged or confidential information. Any unauthorized disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, please notify us immediately so that we may correct our internal records. Please then delete the original message. Thank you.